LAS VEGAS, NV — The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA), owners of the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (KBIS) opened the 2023 live event with the highly anticipated National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) Design + Industry Awards on Monday, January 30, 2023, at the Encore Ballroom, in the Encore Hotel, Las Vegas Hotel.
The sold-out awards ceremony, held annually, recognizes the design professionals and projects that are setting the bar for the way we live, work and entertain in our homes. Each reflects the purpose of the Association—envisioning a world where everyone enjoys safe, beautiful, and functional kitchen and bath spaces. The program was generously sponsored by Beko appliances (platinum sponsor), 2020 Design Software, Ferguson Bath, Kitchen, and Lighting Gallery, and Vent-A-Hood (diamond sponsor), Hettich and Home Depot (gold sponsors), photo booth sponsor Duravit and special mobile bar sponsor, Perlick.
NKBA’s CEO Bill Darcy and EVP & CSO Suzie Williford hosted the ceremonies, presenting more than 30 awards during the evening, including the NKBA Student Design Competition winners as well as the NKBA Innovative Showroom Awards Competition winners.
NKBA 2023 Kitchen & Bath Design Competition Winners:
BEST OVERALL KITCHEN
Sarah Robertson, AKBD, Founder and Principal, Studio Dearborn
BEST OVERALL BATH
Mary Maney, CKBD, Crystal Kitchen + Bath
PEOPLE’S PICK KITCHEN
Henrietta Heisler, Owner and Director, Henrietta Heisler Interiors Inc
PEOPLE’S PICK BATH
Emily Miller, CKD, Kitchen and Bath Concepts
- First Place Rebecca Foster, Interior Designer, Welton Design Group
- Second PlaceDouglas Walter, CMKBD, Doug Walter Architect
- Third PlaceLance Stratton, Principal, Studio Stratton Inc.Co-Designers: Kate LeCount and Tom King
SMALL KITCHEN (Under 300 sq ft)
- First PlaceSarah Robertson, AKBD, Founder and Principal, Studio Dearborn
- Second PlaceSvetlana Tryaskina, Principal, Estee Design Inc.
- Third PlaceNar Bustamante, President, Nar Design Group
LARGE KITCHEN (Over 300 sq ft)
- First Place Lori Kurnitsky, Designer, Bluebell KitchensCo-designer: Michele Plachters
- Second PlaceMarla Nazzicone, Owner, Marla Nazzicone Design Inc.
- Third PlaceLori Kurnitsky, Designer, Bluebell KitchensCo-designers: Olga Carlson and Michele Plachter
- First PlaceLori Carroll, Lori Carroll & AssociatesCo-designer: Kat Saucedo
- Second PlaceJaque Bethke, Principal designer, architect, and engineer, Jaque Bethke
- Third PlaceJaque Bethke, Principal designer, architect, and engineer, Jaque Bethke
- First PlaceGina D’Amore Bauerle, Partner and Interior Designer at D’Amore Interiors
- Second PlaceNichol Hollinger, CKBD, and Senior Interior Designer, Henrietta Heisler Interiors, Inc.
- Third PlaceNancy Finneson, CKBD, DeMane Design
- First Place Mary Maney, CKBD, Crystal Kitchen + Bath
- Second PlaceKendall Ansell, Owner, Kendall Ansell InteriorsCo-designer: Katelyn Woods
- Third PlaceSandra Diaz-Velasco, Principal Architect, EOLO A&I Design
This year, the judges for the Kitchen Awards were Elizabeth Lord, CMKBD, Elizabeth P. Lord Residential Design; Polly Nunes, CMKBD, Polly Nunes Designs; Christine Spillar, CMKBD, Christine Spillar Interior Design; and Courtney Zanelli, CMKBD, Courtney Zanelli Designs. The judges for the Bath Awards were Marie Lail Blackburn, CMKBD, MLB Design Group; Anne-Marie Brunet, CMKBD, Sheridan Interiors; Linda Goad Larisch, CMKBD, Design First Builders; Jenni Russel, CMKBD, Design in Perspectives; and Dan Lenner, CMKBD, Morris Black Designs.
Student Design Competition Winners
Also recognized at the awards ceremony were the winners of the 2023 Student Design Competition. Approximately 200 kitchen submissions and 200 bath submissions were completed into the contest which was sponsored by Fisher & Paykel. Students were able to enter one or both categories.
- First Place – David Stensland, Century College
- Second Place – Wenyee Huang – San Diego Mesa College
- Third Place – Cassandra Jerrems – Saddleback College
- First Place – Beatriz Hernandez – Bow Valley College
- Second Place – Brea Holt – Lakeland College
- Third Place – Sarah Woosley – University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
The judges for the 2023 NKBA Student Competition were:
Danielle Burger, CMKBD, from Kitchen Vitality Design; Mac Dodge Junker, CKBD, from The Kitchen Specialist; Mark Haddad, CMKBD, from Interiology Design Company; and Paula Smith, AKBD, representing our Student Design Competition sponsor, Fisher and Paykel.
Innovative Showroom Awards
Awards were also presented to the winners of the NKBA Innovative Showroom Awards, recognizing the most creative, innovative, and experiential kitchen and bath showrooms in North America. In this age of digital/online shopping it’s especially important to recognize showroom spaces that engage customers in unique and memorable ways. These awards acknowledge the creative design professionals—architects, technology integrators, designers, furniture makers and display experts—who are Masters of Design, marketing and sales.
The judges for the 2023 NKBA Innovative Showroom Award were:
Jason Artus, AKBD, Dovetail Sales; Nar Bustamante, Nar Design Group; Tracey Israelsson, Kohler Company; and Sarah Nielsen, CKBD, Showplace Cabinetry Design Center
Traditional Independent Showroom, Small (under 2,500 square feet) Adorned HomesWhite Bear Lake, Minnesota
Multi-location, Multi-product Showroom, Large (over 5,000 square feet) Faucets N’ FixturesLong Beach, California
Kitchen and Bath Design Center, Medium (2,500 to 5,000 square feet) Marvista Design + BuildPittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Kitchen and Bath Design Center, Large (over 5,000 square feet) The Dacor Kitchen TheaterIrvine, California
Hall of Fame Winner
NKBA recognizes individuals who have contributed to the growth and professionalism of the Association and the kitchen and bath industry as a whole. Inductees are selected by a standing program committee through member nominations. The 2023 NKBA Hall of Fame Winner was presented to Steve Feldman, Founder & CEO, Renovation Angel.
Also honored during the ceremony was this year’s recipient of the NKBA Chairman’s Award. Regarded as one the association’s highest honors, the NKBA Chairman’s Award was created to recognize industry leaders for their unparalleled positive impact on the NKBA and the industry. The winner of the 2023 NKBA Chairman’s Award was presented by Basil Larkin, NKBA’s 2022 Board Chair, to Volker Irle, Managing Director of AMK, The German Association of The Modern Kitchen.
The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) proudly announces the twentieth annual NKBA Design + Industry Awards winners, which will be presented in 2023.
The awards are one of the kitchen and bath industry’s most prestigious design awards, honoring excellence in four distinct design categories: Eco Friendly, Innovation, Universal Design and Design Inspiration.
The winners of the 2023 Design + Industry Awards reflect the latest trends and emerging innovations in kitchen and bath design. This year’s honorees include:
Eco Friendly Award Winner: Brubaker Design Studio of Springfield, Illinois was honored in this category for their inspired use of eco-friendly materials in the creation of their modern and sophisticated design.
Innovation Award Winner: CAPA Interiors of Austin, Texas was recognized for their creative innovation in kitchen and bath design and their commitment to staying ahead of trends.
Universal Design Award Winner: Retro Kitchen & Bath of Toronto, Canada was honored in the Universal Design category for their design solutions that allow for aging in place and accessibility for people with mobility issues.
Design Inspiration Award Winner: Heartland Interiors of Northbrook, Illinois was recognized for their timeless and elegant offerings as well as their ability to bring innovative solutions to even the smallest of spaces.
The NKBA Design + Industry Awards represent the best of the best in kitchen and bath design. This year’s winners demonstrate the Association’s commitment to creating spaces that are both purposeful and beautiful. The Association looks forward to the awards celebration next year, where the winners will be presented and honored.
Congratulations to the 2023Design + Industry Awards Winners!