The MAP – Modular Access Platform – Safety System has been specifically designed for use in stair voids in residential and commercial construction projects.
Its development followed a near miss on a housing site involving a G&M operatives over a stairwell void.
Designed to be a safe, strong and stable platform over stair voids, the new G&M MAP System offers:
- A unique flush fitting design, removing the tripping hazard caused with other stairwell covers that sit on top of the opening.
- Savings on the waste and cost of installing sacrificial joists and flooring over stairwell openings.
- A robust system that can be loaded to 2.0kN/m2.
- Telescopic Joists: Typically three telescopic beams are screwed in place to support the decking panels. This ensures that the platform is securely fitted and level with the floor.
- Use in a wide range of stairwell sizes from between 2-4m long and between any width. It is also suitable for use in L shaped stairwells. And openings next to party walls are no problem as the system is recessed into the stairwell void.
- Ability to be fixed in place to prevent accidental dislodgement or removal.
- Easy installation – by one man in as little as 10 mins – within manual handling regulations.
- An incorporated access hatch within the system – allowing all trades to access floors and allowing materials to be passed up with safety and ease.
The system can be installed at the earliest stages of construction – directly after the joists and other load bearing members have been installed – and can then be used in conjunction with ladders or other temporary access stairs systems.
Additionally, access hatches in the platform can be configured as required to allow full or partial access for operative and materials, working alongside another key safety system product; G&M Safety Decking Hatch.
And additional platform panels can also be easily removed to accommodate access for larger or irregularly shaped equipment or materials.
G&M Group Managing Director, Mark Pickles said: “The MAP Safety System has been born out of an urgent need to stop accidents and injuries occurring on construction site temporary stairwells. People are going to be losing their lives and are already suffering horrible, life affecting injuries from unnecessary falls from height on building sites.
“Even with all our decades of safety training and highly skilled operatives, we came close to having an accident on a site recently – so something had to be done.
“The answer was to use our safety and construction know-how combined with our expertise in manufacturing temporary safety systems for work at height – creating a perfectly designed product to eliminate the risk of falling through a stairwell void.
“G&M MAP System is the only multi configurable system that can be installed flush in to the stairwell void eliminating the use of sacrificial joist and beams. The standard telescopic beams can be installed into any sized void from 2.2-3.4m – by just one operative.
“And the G&M boards are then placed onto the beam flush to the floor eliminating any trip hazard and enabling any decking system to be installed on top. It’s a brilliantly safe design that is cost-effective and easy to install.”