The company was also ordered to pay the deceased’s family £200,000 in compensation.
Linbrooke Services Limited was found guilty of breaches of health and safety and working at height regulations at Dumbarton Sheriff Court.
The court heard that electrician Matthew Mason was fatally injured while installing a public address system at Bearsden Train Station on Tuesday 5 June 2018.
The 20-year-old was trying to free speaker cabling that had become stuck when he fell backwards from a stepladder onto a section of metal piping that was being used as a handle on a cable drum. This piping pierced his side causing internal injuries and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
The prosecutor led evidence over the course of the 14-day trial showing that the company had failed to appropriately plan, and risk assess the work and have in place a safe system of work.
The company was found to have failed to adequately identify the risks involved with pulling cables through a conduit at height even though they had been informed of the problems met by a sub-contractor in an earlier attempt.
Stepladders were unsuitable for the work being carried out. There were insufficient measures in place to prevent a fall from height. They also failed to adequately identify the risks involved with the use of improvised cable dispensing methods or ensure that the surrounding area was free of material which could cause injury in the event of a fall.
Speaking after the sentencing, Debbie Carroll, who leads on health and safety investigations for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal, said: “Matthew Mason lost his life in circumstances which were foreseeable and avoidable.
“His death could have been prevented had Linbrooke Services Limited put in place appropriate planning, supervision, and protective measures to manage the risk of working at height.
“It is well known that falls from height are one of the single greatest causes of death and serious injury to workers within the construction industry.
“From the evidence heard here there needs to be an increased recognition and rigour within the industry in addressing the risks associated with the use of stepladders.
“This prosecution should remind duty holders that a failure to fulfil their obligations can have fatal consequences and they will be held accountable for this failure.”
On Sunday 27 December, a tragic accident occurred in the Penge area of South London in which an electrician was reportedly impaled on metal pipes after he fell from his ladder.
29 year old Gareth Roberts had been working on an electrical repair in a home in Cornish Orchard when the incident occurred. Emergency services were summoned to the home at approximately 4:37 pm following reports of an accident.
On arrival, paramedics discovered that Roberts had been impaled on four metal pipes which had been sticking out of the ground and he was taken to a nearby hospital by the London Ambulance Service. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, however further information is not available at this time.
The accident is still under investigation by the Health and Safety executive and no further details regarding the cause of the accident are known at this time.
The accident has been a shock to the local community, with many local residents expressing their condolences and shock at the news.
It is clear that serious thought needs to be given to workplace safety to prevent similar accidents from happening in the future, and to ensure the safety of those who are employed to do work in people’s homes.