Trump administration officials said Thursday they had reunited all eligible migrant children younger than 5 years old with their families, two days after a court-imposed deadline, and were turning to the far more arduous task of reuniting hundreds more older minors who were separated from their parents while illegally crossing the border.
Of the 103 infants and toddlers in government care, the administration said it had identified just 57 who were eligible for reunions. Those children were returned to their relatives by early Thursday morning, the administration said.
Officials said 46 other children weren’t immediately reunified because they were deemed ineligible. For 22 of them, the adults seeking to rejoin them posed safety concerns, including charges or convictions for child cruelty and domestic violence, according to officials. Seven of the cases involved adults found not to be a parent.
In other cases, officials were trying to contact parents who had been deported. Others were in federal or state custody. And in one case, a parent’s location has been unknown for more than a year, officials said.
An expanded version of this report appears on WSJ.com.
Also popular on WSJ.com:
Columbus prosecutors drop charges against Stormy Daniels.
FBI’s Peter Strzok breaks silence on texts.